CFD Course Syllabus
COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS(CFD)– COURSE SYLLABUS
- GOVERNING EQUATIONS, FINITE DIFFERENCE METHOD AND GRIDS
- NUMERICAL METHODS FOR CONDUCTION HEAT TRANSFER
- NUMERICAL METHODS FOR INCOMPRESSIBLE FLUID FLOW
- NUMERICAL METHODS FOR CONVECTION HEAT TRANSFER
- FEM AND TURBULENCE MODELS
Classification, Conventional and Integral form.Initial and Boundary conditions, Intial and Boundary value problems, Finite difference method, Central, Forward, Backward difference, Numerical Errors, Stability, Consistency, Uniform and non-uniform grids, Grid Independence Test.
Steady one-dimensional conduction, two and three dimensional steady problem, transient one-dimensional and two-dimensional transient problems
Governing Equations – Primitive variable method, Stream Function – Vorticity method, Determination of pressure for viscous flow, SIMPLE Procedure of Patankar and Spalding, Computation of Jet flow (Boundary Layer Flow) – Finite Volume approach.
Steady one-dimensional and two-dimensional Convection-Diffusion, Unsteady one-dimensional convection-Diffusion, Unsteady two-dimensional convection-Diffusion.
Introduction to Finite Element Method, Solution of steady state heat conduction by FEM, Simulation of Incompressible flow by FEM.
Classification of Turbulent Models, Turbulent boundary layer heat transfer, Mixing Length concept, Algebraic Models-One equation model, K-ε Model, Standard and High and Low Reynolds number model, Prediction of fluid flow and heat transfer using standard codes.
Total: 60 Hours
- KluasA.Hoffmann and Steve T. Chiang, Computational Fluid Dynamics for Engineers, A Publications of Engineering Education system, Wichita, Kansas, 67208-1078, USA.
- Verstag H.K. and Malalasekera W., An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics, Addison Westey Longman Ltd, 1995.
- Potter M.C., Wiggert D.C, and Midhat H, Mechanics of fluids, Prentice – Hall International, Inc, 1999.
- Tannehill.J.C, Anderson D.A., and Pletcher R.H., Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, Newyork, USA, 1984.
- Subas, V.Patankar Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, 1980.
- Muralidhar.K. and Sundararajan.T. Computational Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer, Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, 1995.
- GhosDasdidar P.S., Computer Simulation of Flow and Heat Transfer, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd, 1998.
- SaeedNoaveni, Finite Element Analysis, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle Rover, New Jersey 07458, 1999.
- Ozizik M.N., Numerical Heat Transfer, McGraw Hill Book Company, 1985.
- Biswas G. &Eswaran V., Turbulent Flows, Narosa Publishing House, 2002.